Design Engineer Placement - Summer 2021-Summer 2022
The exciting bit:
This is a great opportunity for an off-highway engineering fanatic to get involved with the world’s leading specialist in Mercedes Unimogs, the iconic all-terrain vehicles.
Atkinson Vos Ltd have exported custom Unimogs to almost every country on Earth and have built an enviable reputation for outstanding service and unparalleled industry expertise in all things Unimog.
We pride ourselves on being innovative in our market. We are constantly adding to our range of Unimog accessories and developing bespoke products for our customers.
Our main customer groups include: Expedition Campers, Mining & Industrial & Agricultural.
What will you get out of it?:
You will be an integral part of our small, enthusiastic team in our busy, growing business and we will expect you to get involved in all aspects of the business from day one.
Your scope of work will encompass everything from designing camper boxes and subframes, through to designing components, producing costings & BOM’s for retro-fit accessory kits.
You will be dealing direct with our customers and discussing ideas with them as well as being regularly consulted on engineering issues by the rest of the team.
As well as getting hands on with the Unimogs and other 4x4 trucks you will have the opportunity to increase your knowledge of:-
- Composite materials.
- Structural GRP pultrusions & mouldings.
- Bonding techniques.
- Gears and power transmission.
- Manufacturing techniques including metal fabrication, welding, folding, laser cutting & tube bending.
- You’ll also develop a greater appreciation of:
- The ability to juggle several different tasks.
- Commercial skills including cashflow, profitability, estimating & time management.
- Satisfying customer requirements.
What do we need from you?
- You must be passionately interested in off-highway vehicles.
- You must be competent with SolidWorks or similar CAD design package.
- You must have a desire to learn – we’re too busy to spoon feed anyone!
- Experience of FEA would be great.
- Full UK driving license would be handy.
The boring bit:
We’re in sunny Bentham near Lancaster, LA2 7LW near the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.
We can provide on-site accommodation in a comfortable one bedroom flat for a nominal rent.
Company clothing & PPE provided.
Used of company vehicles where appropriate (no you won’t get your own Unimog to drive around in!)